our Newsletter
PLATINUM SPONSORS

Air Sealing & Comfort
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/12/2012 at 4:28:31 AM GMT
Air Sealing & Comfort

Will I notice a difference in my house once my attic is air sealed and insulated and I had general air sealing done?

9/12/2012 at 4:29:44 AM GMT

The first most homeowners notice is the house being more quiet, next the need for dusting is much lesser. The house will be cooler/warmer longer, and will notice the furnace/cooling will be turning on less frequently. 

9/12/2012 at 3:15:18 PM GMT
Home comfort

Absolutely, depending on what state your home & attic were in before the improvements were made. Reducing air leakage to 5 or 6 ACH50 and insulating your attic to a minimum of R50 can have a dramatic impact on your comfort. If your home is close to that already, there won't be much change, but if you are at, say, 9 or 10 ACH50 and R20 (or less!) in the attic, then you can expect a significant improvement.

Having an energy analysis done on your home will tell you where you stand now, and help you prioritize your improvements. Sealing air leaks and adding insulation are almost always the first steps.

Nathan

9/14/2012 at 7:07:33 AM GMT

A few additional comfort benefits are:

* Low points in the building, and sides exposed to wind are not as cool in the winter when general air sealing is done.  

* Less humidification is needed in the winter for tight buildings.

* Temperature differences between stories are less extreme. 

But keep in mind that well designed ventilation control can be a very important part of comfort and health in an air-sealed home.  This is a bit of a paradigm shift for some.  But when done thoughtfully, it can be as big a shift in comfort as air sealing and insulation.  

Shawn

Last edited Friday, September 14, 2012
Sign In
Sign In securely