10/19/2017
Month of Modern - Colormix™

our Newsletter
PLATINUM SPONSORS

Design & Interior Design
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
New Kitchen Cabinets 0 J. Cannon, Sopher Sparn Architects I'm considering replacing all cabinets in my kitchen and would love some advice on cabinet selection that meets FSC certification. Are there any local companies that have good standing and are highly recommended for design and installation?
by J. Cannon, Sopher Sparn Architects
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Passive Haus in Colorado? 2 J. Dickinson, Colorado Green Building Guild M. Forney, Colorado Green Building Guild said:This question was sent in by email: Is Passive House a good strategy in Colorado? I've heard that it is not the best strategy in all climates?It is a great "strategy" or approach in every climate.  However, meeting the standard's goals or metrics is not realistic in climate zone 7 and arguably zone 6. However, the fundamental concepts are spot on in those climates and even super hot climates.  The methodology includes super insulation, super air tight and minimizing thermal bridging.  These fundamental concepts are 100% what we should do in cold climates and even warm climates.  It is a function of keeping heat where you want it... either in or out of the building.The short answer... it is an excellent strategy, but the metrics you have to attain for certification are not realistic in super cold climates.  PHIUS is in the process of creating climate specific goals for the certification ... which will address this question head on and provide a realistic alternative that has more logic behind it.  
by T. Collins, AE Building Systems
Thursday, February 7, 2013
Formaldehyde in subflooring 1 The only product I have found that is locally available is made by Advantech.  It is available from Boulder Lumber and is an excellent subfloor material. - Ron Flax
by R. Flax, Boulder County
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Net Zero Homes? 1 You know you've asked a good question when the answer is: it depends.  There are 3 main questions to ask when considering net-zero homes: How much money you want to spend, how comfortable you want to be, and how healthy you require the home to be.Any home can be net-zero, if you go all-electric and install a gazillion solar panels.To not spend so much money on PV, you need an efficient home. That means low energy appliances, lights, etc, low air leakage, great insulation, and efficient heat delivery.If you have a tight, efficient home, you control the boundary of what is indoors and what is outdoors. When that boundary is really distinct, managing water and air movement becomes very important for the durability of the structure and the health of the occupants.A home with low air leakage, high insulation, proper moisture management, and good air quality is a comfortable, healthy, high performing home. With this home it's easy to add PV to get to net-zero energy use. To make your home net-zero, talk to a good professional who's done it before. CGBG is a great resource.
by N. Moore
Pre Fab Houses? 0 What about pre-fab houses? I've some some really cool ones in Dwell Magazine that only cost $70,000.
by
Steel Beams 0 We hear a lot in the news about steel construction in residences. Is a steel framed house considered green?
by
Sign In
Sign In securely