11/14/2017
CGBG November Brown Bag: Straw-bale Construction

our Newsletter
PLATINUM SPONSORS

Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Solar purchase vs lease 2 Advantages include, generally, no up-front costs, no maintenance costs, simply a lease payment that can match or beat your former electricity bill for the same amount of power, so no net increase in cost to you, and a more predictable utility rate. When leasing, you'll be signing over any rebates that the utility and municipality may provide to your leasor, Not sure how the contract may be affected if you sell your home. And, it is my understanding, that the leased equipment doesn't increase the value of your home, where owned solar generating equipment does. My family looks long term, and consequently we purchased our array, albeit a number of years back when the rebates were very good. It diid contribute a fair amount of value, more than its'cost in fact, to a recent appraisal of our home.
by K. Callahan, Kyle Callahan and Associates, Architecture
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Insulating Solar Tubes? 0 What is best way to insulate solar tubes- as several feet will be in the attic above the insulation? 
by
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Air Sealing & Comfort 3 A few additional comfort benefits are:* Low points in the building, and sides exposed to wind are not as cool in the winter when general air sealing is done.  * Less humidification is needed in the winter for tight buildings.* Temperature differences between stories are less extreme. But keep in mind that well designed ventilation control can be a very important part of comfort and health in an air-sealed home.  This is a bit of a paradigm shift for some.  But when done thoughtfully, it can be as big a shift in comfort as air sealing and insulation.  Shawn
by S. Le Mons, Energy Age LLC
Friday, September 14, 2012
Air Sealing the Attic Hatch 2 I agree with Deacon, about the box concept.  But, in my experience, the Batic Door product does not perform as well as a good box and lid design.  And when inspecting pull-down stair assemblies with an infra-red camera and blower door, anything short of an air tight and well insulated assembly will show up as a weak point.  Here are a couple video links that may be helpful for DIY'ers:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYHKlCm6cE  I am not promoting this product specifically, but I like this design and air sealing details.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g32Gx-LMoQ4&NRThere are other DIY guides too.  Just use thicker material and make it more like a box with a lid.A couple notes to consider:* Foam board with a foil facing provides additional winter and summer benefits, and also resists flame and smoke spread in case of fire.* I also recommend building up the attic "storage floor" to allow thicker ceiling insulation for better performance.  If your attic looks like the ones in the videos, you have more energy upgrades to do.
by S. Le Mons, Energy Age LLC
Friday, September 14, 2012
What is a passive house? 1 Check out this website:  http://www.passivehouse.us/passiveHouse/PassiveHouseInfo.html
by D. Beal, David A. Beal & Associates
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
How do I find a contractor? 0 J. Dickinson, Colorado Green Building Guild Please visit our Find a Professional Directory for active Green Building Professionals in Colorado! 
by J. Dickinson, Colorado Green Building Guild
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Sign In
Sign In securely